How To Make the Creamiest Mashed Cauliflower — Cooking Classes from The Kitchn
Very long ahead of cauliflower pizza crusts, cauliflower cakes, and cauliflower couscous, there were being just a number of people on the lookout for a lighter dish to get pleasure from in lieu of mashed potatoes. The attractiveness of all these cauliflower dishes is apparent in the availability of pre-riced cauliflower broadly offered at most grocery stores. Fortunate for us, that usually means all the knife perform of producing mashed cauliflower is presently completed.
But ahead of we designate mashed cauliflower as just a lighter version of mashed potatoes, let us contemplate why it is a side dish with merits all its have.
Why We Adore Mashed Cauliflower
You can’t above-mash or above-whip cauliflower the way you can potatoes. With no potato’s starch to contend with, you can purée the cauliflower all day with no hazard of gumminess.
And then there is the flavor: Mashed cauliflower has an earthy, nutty flavor, which usually means it features some complexity to the final dish that genuinely requirements practically nothing much more than butter and salt to truly feel total.
The Best Cauliflower for Mashed Cauliflower
The finest cauliflower for producing creamy mashed cauliflower is the prepackaged “riced” cauliflower. Due to the fact the riced cauliflower is presently minimize into little pieces, it will cook speedier and mash simpler without the need of any excess prep perform on your element.
Nevertheless, you can continue to make this recipe with clean or frozen cauliflower — just adjust the boiling time as required to make confident the cauliflower is tender. Contemporary cauliflower will choose a number of minutes extended, even though frozen will basically be tender speedier, as it was briefly cooked ahead of freezing.
Steer distinct of colourful cauliflower: Whilst yellow, green, and even purple varieties of cauliflower are continue to offered in the tumble, their colors never keep up perfectly to boiling and puréeing, so adhere to white cauliflower for mashing.
Want to rice your have cauliflower? How To Make Cauliflower Rice or Couscous
Cooking Mashed Cauliflower
Compared with potatoes, which need a tender touch to stop gumminess, cauliflower can choose some excess heat when cooking (pun meant). Ahead of boiling, sauté the cauliflower in a bit of butter to deepen its flavor. This also assists the cauliflower boil speedier the moment the water is added to the pot. Will not be concerned about overcooking the cauliflower — the extended it cooks, the creamier the final results — but attempt to use as little water as doable to stay clear of it becoming waterlogged. We’ve termed for two cups in the recipe below, which should really just scarcely address the cauliflower in a four-quart pot.
Suggestions for the Creamiest Mashed Cauliflower
- Sauté the cauliflower ahead of boiling.
- Just scarcely address the cauliflower with water.
- Boil right up until tender.
- Reserve one/four cup of the cooking liquid for mashing or puréeing.
Help you save some cooking water: Reserve one/four cup of the cauliflower cooking liquid for mashing. This creamier water is a flavorful different to utilizing milk or cream for creamy mashed cauliflower.
Mashing or Puréeing the Cauliflower
When drained, the cauliflower can be mashed or puréed, relying on your ideal regularity. A regular potato masher will give a chunky, rustic texture. Puréeing with an immersion blender is desired, as you can purée it as easy or as chunky as you like, and it will build that prosperous emulsion of butter and cauliflower. In a pinch, a stand blender or meals processor can be made use of to purée the cauliflower as perfectly.
Creaminess With no the Product
You may possibly discover that there is no precise cream in a recipe titled “creamiest mashed cauliflower.” Even though we experimented with screening this recipe with the two whole milk and cream, these muted the cauliflower’s nuttiness and did not boost the texture of the puréed cauliflower. Rather, a bit of the cauliflower’s cooking liquid is made use of to build a creamy emulsion with the aid of an immersion blender. This helps make the dish lighter in texture without the need of the heaviness of cream.
How To Make the Creamiest Mashed Cauliflower
Will make 8 to 10 servings
What You Want
two (sixteen-ounce) offers riced cauliflower, or one substantial head cauliflower (about three pounds)
three tablespoons unsalted butter
two cups water
one teaspoon kosher salt
Measuring cup and spoons
Spatula or wooden spoon
- Finely chop the cauliflower (for whole cauliflower only): Halve the cauliflower by means of the stem. Slash a “V” form all around the main to take away the main from just about every 50 percent. Finely chop the cauliflower. The smaller the pieces, the speedier the cauliflower will cook and the creamier the concluded dish will be.
- Sauté the cauliflower: Soften the butter in a four-quart pot above medium-large heat. Add the cauliflower and sauté, stirring routinely, right up until the cauliflower has lightened in shade, three to 5 minutes.
- Boil right up until tender: Add the water and salt and convey to a boil. Go over and cook right up until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reserve the cooking liquid, then drain: Reserve one/four cup of the cooking liquid. Drain the cauliflower.
- Mash or purée: Put the drained cauliflower and reserved cooking liquid back again in the pot. Mash utilizing an immersion blender to ideal regularity. Provide very hot.
- Make ahead: Mashed cauliflower can be produced up to three days in advance and saved in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat above low heat, introducing more butter if required.
- Storage: Leftovers can be saved in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.